The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think Deathstroke is a just an 'okay' character, I'm going to chalk this up as good news on the basis alone that Leto's Joker isn't the main villain. It is kind of funny to think that only after we had a hit movie for a character that started out as a parody of Deathstroke (Deadpool) that we get Deathstroke announced for his big screen debut. But that's most likely a coincidence as I'm guessing the solo Bat-film has been in development for some time.
Fitting.
Not sure he will be better than Letoker.

That's not necessarily true. We still don't know what Dick Grayson is up to in this universe. It was confirmed a little while ago that the dead Robin is in fact Jason Todd.

Honestly, I do hope we get to see Grayson/Nightwing in the solo Bat-movie.
For someone as powerful as Deathstroke as the antagonist? Sounds proper.

While I think Deathstroke is a just an 'okay' character, I'm going to chalk this up as good news on the basis alone that Leto's Joker isn't the main villain. It is kind of funny to think that only after we had a hit movie for a character that started out as a parody of Deathstroke (Deadpool) that we get Deathstroke announced for his big screen debut. But that's most likely a coincidence as I'm guessing the solo Bat-film has been in development for some time.

DC have been pushing Slade for a good while now. Long before Deadpool came out. I am not sure, but to me it seems like after people liked his appearances in the Teen Titans cartoon, they started trying to use him more.

The days of Nolan's secrecy are long gone.

I think Marvel does a pretty good job putting the lid on things.

Nolan has actually blown a few good moments due to his penchant for location shooting. Remember Talia?

Nolan has actually blown a few good moments due to his penchant for location shooting. Remember Talia?

Talia was definitely the most egregious.

Deathstroke being the main villain is very interesting. It's a new villain we haven't seen on film yet. So in!

Not into the rumor of Joe Manganiello or whatever his name is playing him though. Sounds like a meathead showdown.

I thought that was obvious from the casting. You don't cast Cotillard as Generic Love Interest.

The same thing happened in The Winter Soldier. Why else is Robert Redford in the movie if he's not the villain?

Yeah some castings are obvious. Nobody bought Christoph Waltz was Franz Oberhauser and not Blofled in a movie called Spectre.

I thought that was obvious from the casting. You don't cast Cotillard as Generic Love Interest.

Plenty of people thought she was Lady Shiva before those pics came out.

They were like OH HE LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE HEATH LEDGER!

So about Deathstroke. I like that character. But main villain? Well, as long as it's on the surface, and it's really Joker/Harley doing the real damage, then i'm in. Otherwise, im not sure if it will work. What would be the story here? It almost sounds like a move made just to be different and not repeat the past. But i'm probably just looking into it too much.

Especially if Manganiello the Meathead gets the job over a Keanu Reeves (hey John Wick and Neon Demon and his great screen presence of the past wins me over) or some other 40 somethin actor...that's just not going to turn out too well. Lots of fighting, angry faces.

They were like OH HE LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE HEATH LEDGER!

So about Deathstroke. I like that character. But main villain? Well, as long as it's on the surface, and it's really Joker/Harley doing the real damage, then i'm in. Otherwise, im not sure if it will work. What would be the story here? It almost sounds like a move made just to be different and not repeat the past. But i'm probably just looking into it too much.

Especially if Manganiello the Meathead gets the job over a Keanu Reeves (hey John Wick and Neon Demon and his great screen presence of the past wins me over) or some other 40 somethin actor...that's just not going to turn out too well. Lots of fighting, angry faces.

Bloody hell, every time I hear/read Joe Manganiello's name somewhere, all I can think of is going through the horrific horror of seeing a partial scene from Magic Mike with him from one of the trailers in an actual cinema. :yuk:

Anyway, I think Deathstroke has the potential to be a good villain, even one that carries a movie on his own. I know the Arrow TV series isn't the best example, but they did tap into his potential of being the main baddie there. How they'll do that in Affleck's solo movie will be interesting, I've seen some fans speculate on a Knightfall situation where Deathstroke is basically Bane.

I'd like something more original, though, and I'll be curious to see what they go with if Slade does end up being the main villain and not a ruse.

I actually think Deathstroke is a pretty smart move to include by Affleck/Johns. Nolan showed that you could take villains that were fan favorites, but not too well-known in the mainstream and turn them into household names. It keeps things fresh, and you're also not competing with past portrayals this way.

Not to mention, there"s still plenty of room for other villains to feature. If you think about it, the only Batman film (besides BvS) to not include multiple members of the rogues gallery is 89. Given the success of Suicide Squad and the fact that we've got a full DC universe to explore, I'm sure there's room for some cameos at the very least.

Deathstroke is sort of an odd choice but I’m not opposed to it. It would be nice to finally see him on-screen. I would enjoy seeing them finally introduce one of the Clayfaces.

Matt Hagen with BTAS' characterization.

Damn that Clayface two parter rocks. Of course though, it's BTAS.

Deathstroke is smart but only if there's a good story there to tell. On paper it sounds really fresh. But casting and story is pretty crucial if they're going with him.

I still prefer the "The Good the bad and the Ugly triangle between Joker/Deadshot/Batman".

I'm down for Deathstroke, regardless of the size of his role. He's an even foil to Batman and hasn't been done on screen before. A guy who can potentially test Bruce physically, mentally, and morally.

Like everyone else-- I want that fight from the AO trailer brought to live-action.

Like everyone else-- I want that fight from the AO trailer brought to live-action.
giphy.gif

Deathstroke is smart but only if there's a good story there to tell. On paper it sounds really fresh. But casting and story is pretty crucial if they're going with him.

I still prefer the "The Good the bad and the Ugly triangle between Joker/Deadshot/Batman".

I feel like Joker will most likely snake his way into the plot somehow, as he's known to do. So it's possible we end up with something similar for the climax, only instead of Deadshot it's Deathstroke.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt talks “Perfect Ending” of ‘Dark Knight Rises’.

http://heroichollywood.com/joseph-gordon-levitt-talks-perfect-ending-dark-knight-rises/

In 2005, Batman Begins was released and blew all of our minds. This realistic take on the caped crusader resonated deeply with fans who yearned for the triumphant comeback of the character after the failure of Batman and Robin. The success of this series soared astronomically in 2008 when The Dark Knight soared into theaters. A critical darling, this follow-up to Batman Begins captivated critics and audiences alike, and to this day remains in the pop culture conversation with many (myself included) still considering this film not just to be the best in the comic book genre, but also one of the greatest films of the 21st century.

And then, we flash forward to 2012 when The Dark Knight Rises released. As the years have gone on, fans have remained somewhat divided on this film. The consensus seems to be that it’s the least of the trilogy, and although I agree to an extent, I also believe that there are elements within Rises that serve as examples of incredible filmmaking. In particular, the film’s conclusion was a great sendoff of Nolan and Christian Bale’s take on the character as well as the entire trilogy itself.

One of the best parts of Rises was the character (Robin) John Blake, portrayed brilliantly by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. That character along with Gary Oldman’s Commissioner Gordon represented the audience, as they witness all the chaos and terror that runs rampant throughout Gotham City. Although Blake was a new addition in that film, his character had a terrific arc – right down to the finale implying that he would take on the Batman mantle.

Gordon-Levitt was promoting his new film, Snowden and was interviewed by Cinema Blend. The interviewer asked him if portraying John Blake as the new Batman interested him. The actor felt that continuing Nolan’s series would have felt unnecessary, as he further explained:

I know we’re all used to the sort of Marvel movies, which are just kind of endless series. They don’t really have a beginning, middle, and end. But I think Nolan very much thought of that movie as a conclusion, and there’s a theme that runs through all three of those movies that begins in the first movie, runs through the second movie and it concludes in that moment where he says that Batman is more than a man, Batman is a symbol. And so to have another man other than Bruce Wayne kind of becoming Batman at the end of that trilogy, I think that’s the perfect ending to that story.

I agree with Gordon-Levitt on this one. The themes that Nolan explores throughout his trilogy reflects and ponders on the essence and purpose of why Batman is who he is. The themes of heroism in this trilogy is perfectly summed up in this quote from Rises:

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders, to let him know that the world hadn’t ended.

Anyone remember when Joseph Gordon Levitt was rumored to play Peter Parker?
He had big rumors around him for 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back