Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clear you don't know much. Here, have some factinions:

1. In all likelihood the rights to FF revert this time next year exactly. Which means Fox is working on a very specific deadline. They don't have a year and a half, it doesn't work like that. They have a year to get this film into production or the rights revert.

2. It takes MANY MANY months to do a script and get it finalized. Joss began writing his Avengers 2 script last December and he didn't say it was finished, much less finalized, until just this past summer. Kinberg being brought in to do a rush job reworking of the script that is being basically described as nearly an overhaul, for a script that has been in the works since 2010, is NOT good. It will take him 2-3 months to get it finalized, if he gets it finalized at all. Which means the film probably won't go forward until January-February, at the earliest...and this would be a complete rush job.

3. What the above means is that they would have 7-8 months to immediately begin casting and get cameras rolling on a NEW movie, not a sequel, which means the casting process will (or SHOULD) be longer and more arduous, when films like this typically begin casting the main characters many months out before filming.

4. Even IF they do manage to get the cameras rolling by next summer, which would be right before the rights expire so they would have barely made it, post production time would surely push the movie back from its current release date, and it's questionable if they're even able to do that, and even if they are it would be suicide because of how packed that summer is.

5. All of this is even assuming they manage to come up with a script that's within the budget they're aiming for, which is surely less than $150m, and it's honestly very hard to think how they could make a FF film acceptable by today's standards with a budget like that, and I'm almost certain that's where they're having trouble with the script at. They don't want to make an expensive FF film because they don't think it's worth the risk or just plain don't want to take it, but it's extremely hard to write a GOOD FF movie that doesn't balloon into the high hundred millions.

6. What all this points to is that we're probably past the point where this would be a quality FF film no matter what. There are so many things pointing to this turning out a disaster. Fox is being cheap, they've had over 6 writers try and work on a script for the past FOUR YEARS, they're going to have to rush this into production even if they get it off the ground, and if they even are able to push the release date back to the summer of 2015 that would be suicide in and of itself.

And keep in mind, the ONLY reason they're making this movie in the first place is to keep the rights, so they're coming at it from the wrong place to begin with.

I was never one to use language like this, you can go back in the rights hope thread and see I was one of the more skeptical ones and wouldn't jump to conclusions about stuff like Trank not wanting to stay on or the film shaping up to be a disaster, because I didn't think we had enough to go on. But this latest move tells me A LOT about what's happening behind the scenes. And honestly I think this film is ****ed no matter what at this point. I literally see no good side to this. They're not even respecting Trank's vision and just going with what he did. And Trank was the only good sign this film had.

Lots of interesting points there, good post.

Rather than futily wishing and hoping for things to be different and expecting the worst, I personally am gonna look forward to it until it releases and then judge the final result.

If its bad its bad, nothing can be done. But it's not definately 100% certain to be bad.

Last edited:
If Kinberg radically overhauls the script and Trank doesn't like it and doesn't want to film that, it could lead to him walking from the project. He would have to basically accept anything that Kinberg puts forward at this point, but if he doesn't agree with it at all, then there are definitely going to be creative differences.

Did Fox just hire Trank solely for the purpose of directing without any other creative input? I don't think so. They want his vision, and not just for him to film any script he's given, otherwise he could've picked any other thing that came into his hands before.

Again, that is not a good sign for the film like you think it is. It's an indication they're having serious problems with the script. At this rate they're going to have to push back the release date, if they can at all, which would be damn near suicidal to put it in that summer.
how is it a bad sign it shows they want to get the script just right if they didn't care they would just green light a shady script and start shooting

didn't first class have like 6 writers through out it's pre production run

iron man had 4 writers

thor had 5 writers

From what i've seen here and other sites, there's three groups of people regarding this movie.

1. Those who want a good Fantastic Four movie. Doesn't matter which studio makes it.

2. Those hoping the rights go back because they think it'd work best in the MCU, but who are still onboard with reality and hoping the movie at Fox is good.

3. Those hoping the rights go back because of studio bias, who boycott the movie and call it crap before it's even made.

More people need to be #1 and less people need to be #3

If your a Fantastic Four fan then first and foremost you want a good movie of them, not a connected to others movie, but just a good movie in and of itself.

That can happen with this movie. :yay:

how is it a bad sign it shows they want to get the script just right if they didn't care they would just green light a shady script and start shooting

didn't first class have like 6 writers through out it's pre production run

iron man had 4 writers

thor had 5 writers
If you read my super long post then you'd know why. The answer you seek lies there. For one, my point was never about there being multiple writers, it's the fact that they're bringing someone on to redo the script for this movie THIS LATE when it's supposed to come out March 2015 and they have a year before the rights revert.

Both Iron Man and Thor were in completely different situations, as they didn't bring people on at the last minute to do a rush job an didn't have the type of deadlines this FF film has.

If you read my super long post then you'd know why. The answer you seek lies there. For one, my point was never about there being multiple writers, it's the fact that they're bringing someone on to redo the script for this movie THIS LATE when it's supposed to come out March 2015 and they have a year before the rights revert.

Both Iron Man and Thor were in completely different situations, as they didn't bring people on at the last minute to do a rush job an didn't have the type of deadlines this FF film has.

I mentioned this in the other thread but its really going to come down to how quickly he can write the script and when they are expecting his first draft. I've known writers to knock out quality scripts in a single weekend.

From what i've seen here and other sites, there's three groups of people regarding this movie.

1. Those who want a good Fantastic Four movie. Doesn't matter which studio makes it.

2. Those hoping the rights go back because they think it'd work best in the MCU, but who are still onboard with reality and hoping the movie at Fox is good.

3. Those hoping the rights go back because of studio bias, who boycott the movie and call it crap before it's even made.

More people need to be #1 and less people need to be #3

If your a Fantastic Four fan then first and foremost you want a good movie of them, not a connected to others movie, but just a good movie in and of itself.

That can happen with this movie. :yay:

Nice to see someone I can agree with.Look I don't know If this reboot will be great.It could suck.It could be great.Fox bought film rights to FF long before Disney showed any Intrest.And have people forgeten DIsney basiclly ripped off the FF with the Incredables.I am not here to defend past FF films.Those films deserve their critism.

Fox with X-Men and Sony with Spider-man got us where comic book films are
today.batman & Robin Virtually killed the genre.X-Men revived It and Spider-man explored It.Those 2 frnachises allowed MS to go self fiancing and then sucess of Iron Man on it's own lead Disney to buy Marvel shortly before Iron Man 2 come out.

The Fox Is evil of hollywood and Disney Is jewel attitude attitude needs to stop.Tom rothman Is gone at fox.Fox was where George Lucas got backing to make first Star Wars.Fox Is studio behind Planet of the apes films.Fox made alien films.Fox the studio Is when Joss Whedon made buffy,Angel,firefly,and dollhouse.There Is big difference between the studio and Fox network.Just like those In Fox entertainment can't be compared to Fox news.James Cameron made aliens,True Lies,and avatar at Fox.So are you telling me all those suck because they were made at Fox:doh:

Even If In 2014 DIsney got the FF rights it could be 2019/2020 at earliest till
something Is done.MS focus Is on avengers related projects.GotG may be getting made in part to further set up Thanos for third Avengers.If Dr Strange Is made In 2016/2017 It will be done as some kind of avengers tiein.

Why would anyone want the FF to be In shadow of avengers or worse ppossabily treated as second rate avengers? At least at Fox FF has chance to become top Non mutant heroes.

Bryan Singer took over as DOFP director In October 2012 and filming started In April 2013.Simon Kinberg rewrote script to match SInger's vision In that peroid.It's totally fesable for Kinberg to rewrite script to match Tank's vision and they start filming In April/may 2014.

FF might be pushed to summer 2015 given the date they gave Independance Day Sequel.

Plus Kinberg Is involved with new star wars animated show,Is consulating on Episode Vii and will write one of the star wars spinoff films.Plus Fox liked what Kinberg and Singer did to give DOFP the memorial day spot and push Dawn of
the Planet of the apes to july.

I hear some say Disney should get all remaining since a:They would do them all bebet but Iron Man 3 Is exhit a why I don't agree with that and B:So they can appear In avengers sequels.You would want the FF,Wolverine,and Spider-man to be used primary In cameos and small roles In avengers sequels:doh:
Plus as Mark Millar has said you might not get ant-man or GotG If DIsney/MS had them all.

Nice to see someone I can agree with.Look I don't know If this reboot will be great.It could suck.It could be great.Fox bought film rights to FF long before Disney showed any Intrest.And have people forgeten DIsney basiclly ripped off the FF with the Incredables.I am not here to defend past FF films.Those films deserve their critism.

today.batman & Robin Virtually killed the genre.X-Men revived It and Spider-man explored It.Those 2 frnachises allowed MS to go self fiancing and then sucess of Iron Man on it's own lead Disney to buy Marvel shortly before Iron Man 2 come out.

The Fox Is evil of hollywood and Disney Is jewel attitude attitude needs to stop.Tom rothman Is gone at fox.Fox was where George Lucas got backing to make first Star Wars.Fox Is studio behind Planet of the apes films.Fox made alien films.Fox the studio Is when Joss Whedon made buffy,Angel,firefly,and dollhouse.There Is big difference between the studio and Fox network.Just like those In Fox entertainment can't be compared to Fox news.James Cameron made aliens,True Lies,and avatar at Fox.So are you telling me all those suck because they were made at Fox:doh:

something Is done.MS focus Is on avengers related projects.GotG may be getting made in part to further set up Thanos for third Avengers.If Dr Strange Is made In 2016/2017 It will be done as some kind of avengers tiein.

Why would anyone want the FF to be In shadow of avengers or worse ppossabily treated as second rate avengers? At least at Fox FF has chance to become top Non mutant heroes.

Bryan Singer took over as DOFP director In October 2012 and filming started In April 2013.Simon Kinberg rewrote script to match SInger's vision In that peroid.It's totally fesable for Kinberg to rewrite script to match Tank's vision and they start filming In April/may 2014.

FF might be pushed to summer 2015 given the date they gave Independance Day Sequel.

Plus Kinberg Is involved with new star wars animated show,Is consulating on Episode Vii and will write one of the star wars spinoff films.Plus Fox liked what Kinberg and Singer did to give DOFP the memorial day spot and push Dawn of

I hear some say Disney should get all remaining since a:They would do them all bebet but Iron Man 3 Is exhit a why I don't agree with that and B:So they can appear In avengers sequels.You would want the FF,Wolverine,and Spider-man to be used primary In cameos and small roles In avengers sequels:doh:
Plus as Mark Millar has said you might not get ant-man or GotG If DIsney/MS had them all.

Agreed with all of this. The superhero movie 'genre' is completely different now post-Avengers.

:up:

Nice to see i'm not alone in being positive with movies being where they are.

I too have seen people that only want Spider-Man and Wolverine (no mention of the X-Men) just so they could be in an Avengers movie. No care for the characters stories themselves

:up:

Nice to see i'm not alone in being positive with movies being where they are.

I too have seen people that only want Spider-Man and Wolverine (no mention of the X-Men) just so they could be in an Avengers movie. No care for the characters stories themselves
Totally. I've honestly heard people all "What's the Avengers without Spidey and Wolverine?" And I'm like "Uh...still the Avengers, dumbass."

Wow the studio plants are out in full force.

I doubt anyone posting is a plant. I don't know why anyone would want FOX to handle the FF reboot or, even worse, to potentially harm both franchises by mashing together the First Family with the X-Men. But those people apparently do exist.

I just find it interesting that all this pro-Fox love emerges with this recent production news.

How would it harm both franchises to do an adaptation of the sequel to DOFP that had the FF in it?

Speaking for myself, I don't care who makes the film. I just want a great cinematic Fantastic Four. I have no faith in Fox. I don't wait for my girlfriend to cheat on me 6 or 7 times before I dump her.

Also I recognize that the character rights involved are an absolute mess. To me the FF mythos suffers very badly without the likes of Namor, the Inhumans, the Frightful Four, the Kree and the Skrulls. Even if by some miracle Fox knocks it out of the park the franchise will never be as great as it could be.

I also want a great MCU. I don't see how you can be a Marvel fan and not recognize the character overlap that makes some of the best stories. Characters like Dr. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc.

Love em or hate em, Marvel Studios is working very hard to bring the entire Marvel mythos to the big screen. If Fox and Marvel Studios could work together happy days. But that won't happen. So I wish the rights would revert and any news to the contrary is a major bummer.

How would it harm both franchises to do an adaptation of the sequel to DOFP that had the FF in it?

It's forced. It's like a Howard the Duck / Punisher crossover. Who's asking for this?

I also don't like them shoehorning the FF as a subplot in the X-Men universe when they should be focusing on making a great FF franchise period. The Avengers are a different animal because historically they have functioned as a team while the individual characters have simultaneously carried solo titles.

Totally. I've honestly heard people all "What's the Avengers without Spidey and Wolverine?" And I'm like "Uh...still the Avengers, dumbass."

This I totally agree with. These guys were never Avengers until Bendis.

I'm happy with Spidey and X-Men being where they are. Sony and Fox have both served those properties well at different times. Spider-Man 2 and X2 are two of my all time favorite CBMs.

The only franchise I would like to see back with Marvel is the FF. That's it.

I just find it interesting that all this pro-Fox love emerges with this recent production news.

Studio planet:doh: I am sure they like me refusing to watch anymore fox shows except the Simpsons due to me hating their treatments of shows i like.

Yah fox loves the fact I bash last Stand and Origins and being totally fine if those films could have been erased from film cannon

Fox loves me complaing about no deleted scenes on First class DVD and expanded unrated version of The Wolverine only on 3d bluray

Since my politics go to left i hate fox news with a passion so I would come here and just push any studio agenda.

I like the director's cut of daredevil and think Fox was stupid not to release
that version In theatres.Even though I am not wild on reboots I am totally fine with rebooting FF

This Is like people condeming batman Vs SUperman because they can't get over Ben affleck's early 2000' films and his time with jennifer lopez.

Speaking for myself, I don't care who makes the film. I just want a great cinematic Fantastic Four. I have no faith in Fox. I don't wait for my girlfriend to cheat on me 6 or 7 times before I dump her.

So Fox getting rid of Tom Rothman doesn't count?

Also I recognize that the character rights involved are an absolute mess. To me the FF mythos suffers very badly without the likes of Namor, the Inhumans, the Frightful Four, the Kree and the Skrulls. Even if by some miracle Fox knocks it out of the park the franchise will never be as great as it could be.

I also want a great MCU. I don't see how you can be a Marvel fan and not recognize the character overlap that makes some of the best stories. Characters like Dr. Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc.

Love em or hate em, Marvel Studios is working very hard to bring the entire Marvel mythos to the big screen. If Fox and Marvel Studios could work together happy days. But that won't happen. So I wish the rights would revert and any news to the contrary is a major bummer.

I want a great MCU but I recognize the limitations of Marvel Studios. If Marvel had all the rights we wouldn't have had a Thor, Cap or Iron man movies. Those movies would have been replaced with X-men, Fantastic Four and Spider-man.

So I don't care who makes the movie as long as it's good.

People have hated Fox for so long they don't know how to stop.

It's about as forced as Shield being in Thor.

Totally disagree. There is a strong Avengers/SHIELD relationship. Thor is an Avenger. Not even mentioning the Ultimates. (Well I hate the Ultimates - but the connection is obvious in that series.)

Also Nick Fury famously enlisted Thor's help against Beta Ray Bill which launched Simonson's classic Surtur Saga.

I can't recall any real great stories involving the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. I've heard the Claremont story is good. I need to check that out some day.

This Is like people condeming batman Vs SUperman because they can't get over Ben affleck's early 2000' films and his time with jennifer lopez.

That is exactly what it is. People are focussing on Fox efforts from a half decade ago, rather than recent efforts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"