The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 6

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stark Bauer Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

I honestly dont see us in 2 camps. I see 4 camps. The hardcore on each side of the Marvel/DC boat who feel the urge to bash one another. Those who like both and think fanboy bickering is immature, and those who dont care/like neither one. I am going to congratulate Mr. Nolan and those on TDKR forums, no matter what the result.

2. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

The only ones that bother me are the militant type, like the one who wished gang rape the AP writer that dared to express her personal feelings.

I actually love the Dark Knight films, but for whatever reason it's bred the most rabid fan base I've ever seen of any other movie. These militant types aren't DC fans, some have referred to them as "Nolanites" although that's really not fair to Nolan, who just wants to make movies, and would probably be glad to disassociate himself of the lot.

Now those extreme guys have spilled over onto someothers who aren't quite as militant but they are extremely annoying. They see it as a personal threat and injustice that Avengers is the current record holder.

It was so bad that redfirebird2008, who's a regular poser here and on the box office theory forums was flamed on teh BOT forums for saying that he thought the film would make about 175M. YES HE GOT FLAMED FOR THAT!

I'm as big a fan boy as anybody, and I was thrilled to death with Avengers, but I would have loved it, if it were the exact same move we got and it made less than Iron Man 2. Sure I'd be disappointed in the results, but at the end of the day, they make these movies and they either work or don't work.

But I have to be honest the worst ones of all, are the 3 or 4 professional critics that I've read who publically said Avengers was "childish and silly" by comparision. I mean if you want to say TDKR is better, so be it, but I don't think RDJ thinks that the Avengers is "silly and childish". I don't think Joss Whedon thinks that. I think both those guys and everyone of the cast and crew think they are telling a story and want to do the best they can to convey that.

It's the whole mentality that a movie has to be made a certain way, and if not, it's not worthy of attention. It's art, it's subjective, there is no "one way".

anyway enough of my soapbox. I do wish TDKR the best. It's the closing of a series like Return of the Jedi or Lord of the Rings, so I wish them all the best. and yeah I'll congratulate them regardless. Whether or not I like the movie......well we'll see in a few days. lol.

3. Juicy J Registered

Best post I've seen on SHH in the past year or so. Couldn't agree with you more Tony Stark.
    The whole TDKR/Avengers thing is silly to begin with, and there's obviously rabid obnoxious fans on both sides, but man have the batfans been out in full effect these past few days. Not necessarily on this website but just the Internet as a whole. Didn't rotten tomatoes disable comments on reviews for the first time in its history? I'd be embarassed to call myself a member of that fan base, and that's a dang shame, cause there's some wonderful people I know both here on this site and in my group of friends that are among that group.
    But all that nonsense aside, I wish Nolan and his (level headed, sensible) fans all the best and hope they get the same level of excitement out of this movie that I did from the avengers. I'm anxiously waiting to see the movie this weekend and expect to really enjoy it.

4. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Yes RT did disable comments because of what I was referring to. A "fan" wished gang rape of a reviewer for the AP. Yep, that's how bad it got, and it called out for the editor of RT to post a response, and they shut down the comment section.

Now I hope the guy that posted that comment isn't a SHH member. But for Pete sake if you're that invested in a movie, you need to rethink your life.

Anyway thank you for your kind comments. :)

5. dodgers2213 Registered

What did they do to deserve a congratulations? :funny:

6. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

You don't have to deserve something to receive it

7. Xeno That's America's ass!

I'm just glad that after this week it should all be over. All the sniping, the trolling, the insults and childishness of the last two years should come to an end now. Maybe people can focus on enjoying their favorite films and stop the manufactured competition between franchises. Personally, the only reason I follow box office numbers is to see how successful the films are, in hopes of seeing sequels. The horse race aspects can be fun, too, but not when some fans get carried away with it.

8. Mysteryman Registered

If TDKR breaks TA's OW record, then it will only get worse ,IMO

9. DyeLorean will return

I think they're stupid confrontations. I want every good movie to be succesful.

Having said that, I read something in the bat-forums:
    "Is not about money, is about sending a message".
    I thought it was clever.

10. Mysteryman Registered

Well Said Tony Stark .
    The thing that bothers me about the business withe AP critic
    Is that she basically said athe end of her review that when you are dealing with an exceptional filmmaker Like Nolan Anything less than brilliant is a letdown.
    And yet a lot of the criticism of her review centers around her comment that she said that Tom Hardys natural Charisma wasnt shining through in his performance as Bane .
    They seem to totally miss the point of why she didnt like it .

11. Vartha Mod of Thunder

EASY now lol, yeah we know about RT, just leave it at that ok? lol

12. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Basically Guys, you all KNOW How I feel about MOST Critics and WHY people have to even bother getting THAT excited over what these people say is beyond me. If you like the movie who freakin' cares what anyone else says?

13. Bim Registered

My thoughts exactly. I dont really care about what a critic says. I make my own mind about which movies i like and which i dont. If i love something that gets bashed... who cares? I'll keep on enjoying it lol

14. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I still think DC should just tell WB to lay off and produce their own movies lol

15. danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Either side will try. Both will lose.

The Marvel vs. DC rules are still in effect. If one side decides trolling the other is a good idea, they'll face the consequences.

16. Rock Sexton Registered

Again, it doesn't matter what DC does anymore with any of their own properties. Marvel doesn't need their tail winds like they might've in the past. They've built a name for themselves now and that's all that matters. So my personal opinion is that I don't really care what a movie like TDKR does at the box office.

17. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Yeah, if you expect those boards to be civil, well...don't
    Those people are craaazy!
    I never went in that forum until recently, and, holy crap, I wouldn't dare post there..
    My avatar alone gets hate thrown my way

18. eddy Make Mine Marvel

Tomorrow should be interesting.

19. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

Tonight should be interesting

20. marcvader Lurker #1

I just want it fo be Monday and have it be over with already.

21. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I totally agree. It shouldn't make a difference, and it doesn't too me really. What does bother me is the fact that these reviewers discount the work of others. Look people make good and bad movies, it's a job, but like I say, I don't think Joss Whedon views what he does as "childish and silly", and any positive review doesn't need to trash another movie to build up the one it's praising.

It's one thing to say "this is by far the best movie of the year". No problem with that. This is what Todd McCarthy said by comparision " this last installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy makes everything in the rival Marvel universe look thoroughly silly and childish."

That's just *****baggery at it's highest. I realize Avengers wasn't trying to be some sort of emotional, psychological thriller, but "silly and childish"? Is X-men silly and childish? Because those movies deal with real world issues of prejudice and biggotry through the medium of superheros.

Again it doesn't effect my life any, but I don't think it's respectful of the film makers.

22. Bim Registered

I take this opportunity to wish the best to the mods, because they will have their work cut out for them for sure.

23. Mysteryman Registered

I Know that HP2 has the midnight record ,
    But what 2D film has the record ?
    Is it TDK or one of The Twilight Films?
    And also not a lot of websites predicted TA was going to make $ 200 million , Right?
    I just find it interesting that a lot of sites have predicted TDKR will gross over $200 million .
    Before TA, I dont think they would have even considered it .

#948 Mysteryman, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  24. samsnee Ok

This is what irks me the most as well. Last time I checked, they were selling toys for TDKR as well.

25. Paladin-Hoss Registered

It's kinda funny if you notice that out of all the different species of geeks, nerds, only comic fans are prone to this kind of behaviour.

When TA broke HP record, i don't remember seeing this board gets flooded with angry, foaming at the mouth Potter fans.When Anderson utterly destroyed the resident evil franchise with his movies, the hardcore RE fans didn't have an internet meltdown that was noticed by the mainstream media.

If anything, these kind of behaviour reminds me of soccer hooligans.

Those people make me ashamed to be a comic fan.Seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.