• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
i placed my bet on the 800 million > marker many moons ago, and i was one of the ones who doubted that avengers would break the $1 billion box office club.

I've never been happier to be wrong in my life. ;)

congrats, marvel, and congrats, disney. *great* to see the partnership paying off this quickly....and that's gotta mean great things for more marvel films getting the greenlight; for more marquee talent to join marvel studios; for marvel to get bigger budgets and bigger gambles than disney might have granted just a few months ago.

History in the making.

And i'm not gonna jump on the whole avengers vs. Tdkr bandwagon --- avengers' success is great news for tdkr as well. It's great news for the whole cbm genre, which is what we're here for, right, folks? I just sincerely hope it lights a fire under warners' asses and makes them quit fretting about the failure of green lantern. If dc would set up a cinematic universe like the mcu, they could see this kind of success as well, and they damn well know it.

Cbms are alive and well. Can i get an amen
amen!

I don't think Favreau would've been willing to work solely from a Zack Penn script. He'd have brought a new writer in, probably Whedon.

Whedon isnt gonna write for another director unless he is the co-director in the shadow or he calls the shots in equall measure, that much he has made clear in the past.

Never say never, but i doubt he would.

I don't think you really "get" marvel. The next movie will be the exact opposite of this thank god. Nobody wants a 200million Wagner opera cgi-fest.

Sounds fine to me :D (maybe not the cgi part, but a fantasy/opera setting would be really nice)

thor 2 deserves a much bigger budget,if not bigger then avengers-220-230 mill.
if that happens,if the movie is good and if it has huge battles in space,other planets and on earth(why not) that will attract mass audience AND with chris hemsworth becoming more popular every day thor 2 can gross huge money-700-800 mill at leist...

Thor II definately does NOT deserve a budget bigger budget than The Avengers, I think a budget of 180M + would suffice.

Whedon isnt gonna write for another director unless he is the co-director in the shadow or he calls the shots in equall measure, that much he has made clear in the past.

Never say never, but i doubt he would.

whedon has writing down but he really needs to work on his cinematography and create a style for himsef. raimi, nolan etc have a camera style but avengers is shot in a very matter of fact generic way.

I don't think you really "get" marvel. The next movie will be the exact opposite of this thank god. Nobody wants a 200million Wagner opera cgi-fest.

Marvel's current roster of MCU heroes are all earth based, except Thor, not taking advantage of the fact he's their only current character who can get out there into the universe would be a mistake imo.

Marvel's current roster of MCU heroes are all earth based, except Thor, not taking advantage of the fact he's their only current character who can get out there into the universe would be a mistake imo.

A mistake they won't make.:word:

Ummmm did you not get the memo that Marvel stated that Thor 2 will take place primarily within the Asgardian realms?

Traveling to different realms is hardly what I would call an "opera fest", it's not like he's going to be sitting around in the city of Asgard.

If true its a terrible idea. Hopefully whedon can talk them down.
I actually enjoyed thor, and am a marvel reader from way back, but asgard as a setting bores me to tears.

Now if they wanna go cosmic, that's fine. There are other worlds after all. But the interactions/conflicts with "real world" people and settings are critical to all these movies.

Perhaps more controversial, I also think cap 2 should be mostly set in the present with limited flashbacks. Like thor, the fish-out-of-water angle is, going forward, a key component to the character.

Quoted for freakin truth!!!

I've been saying this for the longest, in the comics I love earth based Thor but in films that is not the way to go.

Just because he can doesn't mean he should. If the comics tell us anything is that when Thor is away from Earth the more depersonalised the stories get. Taking Jane along for the ride may help. It helped Gerry Conway but even then he kept a 50/50 balance of Earth villain and Sci-Fi/fantasy villain. So one story plays up Thor and Jane in the jungle doing the whole Tarzan riff, the next they are fighting trolls. The entire time Thor is living on Earth with Jane having been banished from Asgard for not giving her up so the character tension is still heightened.

If thor is asgard-based and it works, I will happily eat crow. He's one of my faves and ill be rooting for the movie and everyone involved in making it.

I'd sure be disappointed IF Thor don't go around Asgard and travel&kicking a**around the 9 realms for the most of part Thor II,Maybe go to Earth for a scene or two to find Jane and take her to Asgard!!

I think the budget should be bigger than Thor But not bigger than Avengers,I THINK even Whedon said the Avengers sequel would be smaller..But I think they may need to go higher cause of Thanos!!

If true its a terrible idea. Hopefully whedon can talk them down.
I actually enjoyed thor, and am a marvel reader from way back, but asgard as a setting bores me to tears.

Now if they wanna go cosmic, that's fine. There are other worlds after all. But the interactions/conflicts with "real world" people and settings are critical to all these movies.

Perhaps more controversial, I also think cap 2 should be mostly set in the present with limited flashbacks. Like thor, the fish-out-of-water angle is, going forward, a key component to the character.

No i don't think you "get it".

It doesn't matter about the setting. The setting could be completely insane and outlandish. What you do is ground it with real, true to life themes and characterisations. That is how Marvel comics have operated since their inception. That's what makes the characters appealing. No matter how fantastical the setting, it's all still relatable.

It's set in space? Other realms? Yea, but you make the characters human and relatable.

Thor will not be set primarily on Earth. And thank god. Now that the origins are all out the way let these characters and their mythologies breathe. Marvel should be looking to expand, not constrict.

They could pull of some Lord of the Rings-style things with Thor in a space setting.
I don´t see that as a bad thing, since he will be earth based everytime he joins the Avengers anyway.

BigThor we are on opposite ends of this.

Don't be shocked if it isn't the asgard-fest you're hoping for. If it is, and it works, I'll be bowing down to the writers/director.

Who's doing the script for thor 2 btw? Anybody know? Google I guess.

It doesn't matter about the setting. The setting could be completely insane and outlandish. What you do is ground it with real, true to life themes and characterisations. That is how Marvel comics have operated since their inception. That's what makes the characters appealing. No matter how fantastical the setting, it's all still relatable.

It's set in space? Other realms? Yea, but you make the characters human and relatable.

Thor will not be set primarily on Earth. And thank god. Now that the origins are all out the way let these characters and their mythologies breathe. Marvel should be looking to expand, not constrict.

I'm glad most people understand this, it's not a knock to Thor's earth based stories it just would be better to embrace what makes him stand out.

Nuff said!

whedon has writing down but he really needs to work on his cinematography and create a style for himsef. raimi, nolan etc have a camera style but avengers is shot in a very matter of fact generic way.

I've heard nothing but great things about the shooting style here. And beyond the typical non shaky cam blah blah.

Don't be shocked if it isn't the asgard-fest you're hoping for. If it is, and it works, I'll be bowing down to the writers/director.

I know that Robert Rodat (from Saving Private Ryan) is working on it.

Exactly, Thor's universe is too rich to keep him restricted to earth.

The cinematography is brilliant in this film. Not just the action scenes, but the overall look of the film. Some of the vistas are beautiful. Me and TomPitiloff were talking about this the other day, but the scene where Loki has a flashback where he's in space is just... beautiful. It's ripped straight from the comics.

Also the scene where the Avengers are arguing on the Helicarrier and it has an almost dream like quality to it, to represent Loki and his sceptres influence was inspired.

And of course... the action scenes. Including one of the greatest tracking shots ever put on the screen.

I'm not hoping for anything, it's been stated by Marvel numerous times not "implied" or "rumored".

Sorry for veering off topic and starting a minor debate. I WAS warned. I'll revisit in the appropriate thread when the time comes.

I would love to see Thor #2 entirely off earth.

Those were my favorite scenes in Avengers, very mystical.

And I don't know anything about Thor! :oldrazz:

-DC fan here

My point is the script could easily change, or something could change in editing that makes earth, not asgard, the primary setting. Asgard would still play a major role, but have less screen time.

You're right I have no idea what your preference is. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"