The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will probably have 1BN in a few hours :word: so I'm sure it will finish somewhere between 1 & 2BN (hopefully nearer 2 than 1). Beating 2BN is a completely different story. It would need abnormal legs to achieve that and as you say unlike Avatar's release date which allowed it months to itself, Avengers is the first big summer film and will have to contend with every other big summer film in its next few months. I'm glad we're talking billions and not hundreds of millions anyway (or 10s of millions in Dark Shadow's case :woot:).

Yeah, 2B could be really tough to achieve, but TA has exceed expectations ever since its release, so who knows? I do think that while people were making a big deal out of THG's early success in March, such as winning #1 for four straight weeks, TA shows THG what is really impressive by destroying records left and right.

Studio estimates are out: The Avengers earns $103.2 million on its second weekend.

That's almost exactly a 50 percent decrease from last weekend. Awesome.

I forgot to mention it passed the $1 billion milestone, its just incredible.

Last edited:
Well the proof is in the pudding and there are other B.O. bloggers that are far more accurate than her. Maybe her sources are bad. If they are she needs to find new ones.

The bottom line is she's the laughing stock of the BOT forums now.

This is not about Avengers either, this is pretty much the 5th or 6th time she's been completely off.
There is no pudding, though. She's not a BO analysis. She gets her numbers from Disney and other rival studios. The numbers she reports on Friday generally change by Sunday morning.

It's hard to predict whats going to happen when it comes to such a huge flick like this. That's why her updates generally come on the our.

Either way, $100-$105 second weekend is incredible!

Not quite $100m overseas. $95.4m, not far off at least.

It beat the 3 Spiderman films this weekend.

wahoo.gif

Quite a milestone. CBM fatigue my arse!

$1B!! WOW!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/dark-shadows-opens-with-550k-midnights/
‘AVENGERS’ SETS 2ND WEEKEND RECORD $103.2M – Still #1 Phenom For $1+B Global And Now 11th All-Time Biggest Moneymaker

North American grosses came in exactly as expected. Marvel’s The Avengers from Disney broke $100M in its second weekend for the first time in movie history (beating Avatar‘s 75M). Saturday’s number is about $43.1M after Friday’s was $29.1M for an estimated weekend total of $103.2M with Sunday’s expected $30.9M. That’s down only 50% from its massive opening a week ago. The projected domestic cume now is $373.2M for its first 10 days of release. The international figure is $628.9M after adding $95.4M from overseas this weekend playing in almost every movie territory. Disney says Avengers will cross $1.002B worldwide Sunday. Yowza! That makes Avengers #11 on the all-time money making list, past The Dark Knight (not adjusted for premium ticket prices or inflation). And it should shoot up to #5 very quickly.

Wait, the weekend is not yet over in the US right? Is it still possible that the numbers will increase?

Yeah baby...1 billion finally. :wow:

I have been checking this box-off thread almost everyday. But now ...can take it a little ez.

BTW..not sure why the movie is not doing transformers numbers in china though.. I was there 3 weeks ago, and there were avengers posters almost everywhere.

Hollywood must be pissed off. Because this proves them wrong about piracy. Make a good movie & movies people want to see. Then they will come. Hollywood must be crying right now

All time worldwide 4th place is only days away. Max 1 week but probably a day or so earlier.

1 billion club. woohoo.

Over a hundred million in reach for second weekend. Amazing.

Yeah baby...1 billion finally. :wow:

I have been checking this box-off thread almost everyday. But now ...can take it a little ez.

BTW..not sure why the movie is not doing transformers numbers in china though.. I was there 3 weeks ago, and there were avengers posters almost everywhere.

I am also wondering about that, I expected it to gross close to Transformers.

Hollywood must be pissed off. Because this proves them wrong about piracy. Make a good movie & movies people want to see. Then they will come. Hollywood must be crying right now
Cinematic films will always do well in the face of piracy as you can't recreate that experience at home unless you have a spare million or so for your home cinema system.

Cinematic films will always do well in the face of piracy as you can't recreate that experience at home unless you have a spare million or so for your home cinema system.

But a movie like this doing what it is doing at the Box Office. Is a sight to behold. Especially at a time when Hollywood is trying to get control of the Internet

But a movie like this doing what it is doing at the Box Office. Is a sight to behold. Especially at a time when Hollywood is trying to get control of the Internet

Funny thing is, I know some people who do watch movies on the internet, and if they really like a movie, they will go see it again in the theater. So, in this case, the bootlegs worked in favor for the theaters/studios.

I also want to make a note of something, I was realizing this last Wednesday. When I went to the marathon, it was held inside a mall. Malls generally close at about 9:00, or at least the stores do. But, with the all of the people that The Avengers brought, it also brought in customers, by the droves, to the nearby restaurants and coffee houses. So, I like to look at it, as The Avengers is also stimulating the economy for a bit. Not too shabby for a mere comic book movie.

I knew it all along! I would gloat, but I don't think anyone would care.

1B was ALWAYS a lock in my mind and I tried to convince naysayers like jmc, but they wouldn't listen. Oh well...

I am also wondering about that, I expected it to gross close to Transformers.
Avengers 3 will kill it overseas. Overseas audiences awareness sometimes doesn't kick in until you get to sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"